- inquire into the facts and circumstances surrounding an incident or occurrence (for example an accident or injury, or damage to a Defence asset) to inform ADF command decisions about actions that might be taken in response, including actions aimed at avoiding a recurrence;
- are internal ADF Inquiries;
- applythe requirements of procedural fairness;
- are presided over by civilians or ADF officers; and
- are conducted separately from the normal chain of command.
A Board of Inquiry may be appointed jointly by the Secretary of Defence and the Chief of the Defence Force, the Chief of the Defence Force, a Service Chief or other senior commander.